Press Release & Media

SAIPAN TRIBUNE

Dynasty Casino Remains Closed

 

Posted on Oct 05 2015

 

 

Despite Tinian Dynasty Hotel and Casino’s announcement that its hotel doors will remain open, its casino will remain shuttered due to an ongoing dispute between the gaming commission and the new owners of Tinian Dynasty.

Tinian Casino Gaming Control Commission executive director Lucia Blanco-Maratita said they have received word informally that TDHC hotel operations will remain open but the casino remains closed.

This is in part because Tinian Entertainment Co./Chinese Strategic Holdings Ltd. has yet to pay the fees and submit the documents being required of it by the gaming commission. TEC was given until Sept. 9 to deposit with TCGCC the additional $100,000 refundable investigation fee.

“TEC/CSHL has not complied with the submission of all requested documents currently pending nor has it paid the additional investigative/licensing cost deposit to complete their suitability investigations,” Blanco-Maratita said.

Earlier last month, Chinese Strategic Holdings chair and executive director Kwok Hing Wilfred Lam and its subsidiary TEC asked for a small compromise—for the TCGCC to “show good faith” in issuing an interim casino authorization” before they pay the additional $100,000.

According to Blanco-Maratita, in their latest special meeting on Sept. 24, TCGCC voted and approved to request the appearance of the applicant and Lam, either in person or via Skype.

“This was to discuss the applicant’s plans for proceeding with the interim casino authorization application process/procedures,” Blanco-Maratita said.

“Unfortunately, Lam refused to engage in such dialogue and TCGCC did not take any action with respect to the interim casino authorization matter,” she added.

TDHC earlier said that more than 150 employees were laid off and still remain jobless following the casino’s closure. Without the casino, the Tinian municipality has let go of people who work for the government that is funded by casino revenues.

Tinian Mayor Joey Patrick San Nicolas said that about 20 of his staff have already been informed that they couldn’t fund their positions due to the casino doors remaining closed.

The $100,000 the commission is asking from TEC and CSHL is an investigation fee that will be used to look into the suitability of both companies to run a casino. It is refundable, which means any unused portion of the fee will be refunded to the applicant.

.